Tuesday, June 10, 2014

Is the University of Florida a good school for design?







I'm a small town girl from Idaho. I'm 25 and want to go back to school. I've lived in San Deigo and loved it there but the econmy is horrible. I was considering moving to Flordia and going to school. I've visited Florida before but only Fort LauderdaleIe. Is the University of Flrodia a good school for graohic design students? and I've never been to Gainesville, is it a good place to live? I also just left my long time boyfriend, are the people nice there? Just would like some advice. Thanks.


Answer
The University of Florida has consistently been highly-ranked and well-regarded for its academics and athletics, and it's considered to be one of the best values in higher education. The tuition is considerably higher for out-of-state students, but Florida residents are able to get a strong education at a bargain price. It's been dubbed a "public Ivy." The Florida College of Fine Arts is under the umbrella of UF, and is quite prestigious. They offer a competitive graphic design program.

http://www.arts.ufl.edu/programs/graphicdesign.aspx

I recently made my first trip to Gainesville, and I had a marvelous time there. My boyfriend's dad grew up there, and both of his grandparents taught at UF until recent years. They took us on a tour of the campus, and I thought it was really beautiful. I was actually surprised by the ornateness of some the architecture. We were there just as the school year was beginning again, and it was fun watching the campus become alive. It's a welcoming and cheerful place. Everyone seemed to be very friendly and happy to be there. It is considered to be a party school, but academics are still taken very seriously.

I really enjoyed visiting Gainesville, though I'm not sure that it's a place where I'd ever settle. I'm from LA and am accustomed to a faster pace and a climate that is more Mediterranean, so the thick heat and humidity of Florida and more mellow vibe would require a major adjustment for me. I was very relaxed, there, though, and I loved how much green there was everywhere. This was taken in Gainesville:
http://s353.photobucket.com/albums/r375/SkylarkMelody/?action=view&current=86f21ef2.jpg

Within a few hours of Gainesville there are several fun and interesting attractions. We made it to my grandpa's beach house in Seaside in a morning, and we also went to historic St. Augustine. There are gorgeous natural springs in the area too. At the moment my Photobucket album is open, and you're welcome to flip through it and see more pictures of Florida like the springs if you wish. It's a much more affordable area than Southern California. I was shocked to see large, lovely homes at prices that seemed to be amazingly low to me. For the same price as a four-bedroom house there you'd get a studio without parking in my area of LA. For that reason and many others think it would be a less stressful place for a young adult to root herself.

UF has very selective admission, so if you're interested in going there start working towards that goal now.

I hope all works out for you!

~ skylark : )

Planning room design- any advice helps?




Cristian C


Here is my plan/info on the following:

Current:

Size: bedroom is very small (don't know exact dimensions)
Paint Color: Baby Blue/Light/Lavender
Ceiling: Popcorn w/ a white fan (only light source in room), slanted angle, low
Furniture: White, contemporary, some light wood details
Bed: Grey, queen, some pillows
Window: White curtains, half way to floor
Floor: Dark, hard wood, brown-red-orange color

I want neutral colors/ideas. I am painting it tan/brown/light sand hopefully. Also changing the bedding to black/white look. No carpets or rugs. Any decor ideas: pillows, candles, mirrors, vases, etc. Low cost, keep in mind the room size, teen/young adult age, online or in-store is perfect. :) Thanks! Any advice helps!
Please no spam answers. :)



Answer
After reading your description my room is most likely the opposite to yours as I have no neutral colours and mine is very girly and bright. But here is a description of my room to maybe give you some ideas of what you could include.. or things you may like to do in order to change your room to the way you'd like it!

When I was 15 I went through the stage of completely re-designing my small four wall room and I'm so glad I did because I love my room! First I chose the theme I'd be going for which is really girly! So I painted three of my walls purple and added purple hearts as a border in the middle of each wall horizontally, and then one wall hot pink with black stencils ontop, it made my room so much more brighter! I then decorated most things in pink and purple to match the walls.. and having the furniture either white or silver to break away from all the colours. The paint was cheap for my walls, one large can of purple, one large can of hot pink and one small can of black. I got one of my family members to paint my walls and then my mother stenciled black patterns onto one of my walls so there was no cost in hiring a painter to paint my room!

I then bought new bed sheets and pillows in bright colours to make my room really bright and girly, and accessorised mainly in pink, purple and bright colours. Things like candles are cheap and look really good in your room, also a bonus that they smell really nice!

With your old furniture, you can still change it for a cheap price. What I did was kept my dressing table with the mirror attatched but simply removed the original knobs that were on each drawer and bought silver round knobs which matched my bed, that was a great idea to do instead of the ugly little girl floral knobs I had on it originally!

Accesories with picture frames of your heroes or singers/actors that you like, and a few with your friends of course! All you will be paying for is a new bed, paint, new bed sheets and pillows, few candles and picture frames and you should be set!

Here's some photos of my room for inspiration and ideas, enjoy!
http://img100.imageshack.us/g/271120101399.jpg/




Powered by Yahoo! Answers

No comments:

Post a Comment