Tuesday, May 21, 2013

Can you give me ideas/help for decorating single guy's house?

Q. I'm a thirty-year-old single guy. I like dogs, the outdoors, my Jeep Wrangler, autumn, good wine, travel, photography...

I'm trying to integrate my "likes" into my home. I have painted my living/dining room two colors of khaki, and a chalkboard-green wall. I have a brown leather couch, and walnut tables and bookcases. I've also remodeled my guest bathroom - new flooring, hardware, paint, etc.

However, I'm trying to get ideas on decorating... accent pieces, dining room furniture, bedroom furniture (blank slate right now) and my own bathroom. I need help finding websites for "bachelor pads" and masculine design (not a lot of flowery-things). I'd like to redo the kitchen with the small tiles as a backsplash.

I'd like to find websites/books/magazines that show off a masculine home. Pictures are a must!!

The main goals are to have a cool guy's house and up the resale value.

Serious responses only... any help is appreciated. Thanks!
As I said, folks... I need pictures, websites, magazines, etc. While I appreciate the suggestions, does no one know of ANY place to LOOK at pictures to get ideas? That's what I'm wanting.

A. Hi!
Ok, I am a seasoned interior designer and know exactly what you are saying. Go to www.getdecorating.com and preview all the rooms. When you find a room that has the assets you are looking for, simply save the photo into a desktop file. Continue until you have viewed all rooms that are desirable to you. Go into your design folder (on your desktop) when you are finished and take notes on what items in each room are appropriate for your own style. Masculine styles are often the old world style that includes leathers, etc. When you are designing your rooms in masculine form you will need to add some softness into each room. This will make your rooms more appealing and approachable. In this I mean, adding some chenile pillows to your leather pieces along with some wool or chenile throws to wrap up in when nights turn cold. Add a table runner in a deep pumpkin color and some coordinating dinner plates in an autumn green. There are some really nice black iron candle holders out on the market. Some extend the entire length of a dining table or coffee table. Another thing is to add a few very large potted plants into your decor scheme. This will add life into your spaces. Tall palms and the like are great to add to empty corners. You can add an uplight behind each plant for drama at night. Make sure you repot the plants into desirable containers that go with your particular room. Lamps add great interest to rooms as well. You will find that there are a wide variety in wood or iron to match your rooms. Your wall decor should be kept simple and I would suggest the rod picture hanging kit which holds several sized frames. Some of these are mirrors. I would suggest the wood tones. These rod kits are simple to install, just as simple as a curtain rod. Go solid colors in your bedding. Choose two colors that appeal to you. Use one for the spread and the other for the sheet sets. Go simple. Select an additional comforter to fold at the foot of the bed. This accent comforter should have both colors in it and this will bring your bedroom together nicely. Add a couple of solid throw pillows, an art piece above the bed, lamps and maybe an old antique chair to add interest in one corner along with another tall plant and uplight. I am sure you are getting the picture now. Most of all, have FUN with this!
Teri Woods
Home Stages Designs
www.Homestages.com


How can I get my 2 year old to sleep in his own bed?
Q. My 2 year old usd to sleep fine in his own bed and room alone until he was 18 months old. In fact he wouldnt fall asleep anywhere else. One night he woke up crying and refused to sleep in his room and never did after that. I think it may have been emotional stress because his father and I had been going through a hard time and his father was no longer living with us. He will be 3 in January and he still has to sleep with me. I dont mind him sleeping in my bed, but I know if I dont get him to sleep in his own bed, it will trun out that he'll want to sleep with me till he is 9 or something ridiculous. Is it healthy for a child to sleep with their parents? Over all how can I get him to sleep in his own room?

A. When the timing seems right, start with a few small changes. The idea is to gradually wean your child from the family bed, so he doesn't feel as if he's being abruptly kicked out (and by the people he loves most in the world!). If he still naps, have his nap in his own room, to give him practice sleeping solo there during the less-intimidating daylight hours. For nights, you can put a futon or a mattress on the floor at the foot of your bed. Tell your child that someday he'll spend the night in his big-kid bed in his own room, but that for now this is his special bed — giving him the security of being close to you while also getting him accustomed to independent sleeping.

If your child doesn't have a comfort object, like a teddy bear, blanket, or baby doll, try offering him one now and encouraging her to sleep with it. At this age, he may not take to a comfort object if he's never used one before. But if he does, it'll help him make the final move to his own bed — after all, he may be forced to leave you behind, but no one can stop him from taking his "Beary" with her. After a few weeks, explain to your child that it's time for him to sleep in his room at night, and remind him that you'll be right next door (or down the hall) if he needs you.

Another alternative, , is to move your child straight into his own room but to sleep with him there for the first week or two while he gets adjusted. "Once he's sleeping well in his new space, move yourself out very gradually,. Go from lying down with him to sitting next to him as he falls asleep, then from sitting on the bed to sitting on the floor, and finally move from the floor to the door.
What should I do if my child resists moving to his own bed?
Over the next few months, you may wear out the carpet between your room and your child's. But you have to expect protests and middle-of-the-night visits — it's only natural for him to continue to seek comfort from you at night, especially if he's had the security of sleeping with you since birth. So decide what your priority is. If your priority is to not be woken, keep the extra mattress on your bedroom floor for a while, so that your child can wander in and go back to sleep there if he wants. If your priority is to get your child to remain in her room through the night — and if you're willing to lose some sleep to accomplish this — then do away with the extra mattress. When your child comes into your room, calmly lead him back to his bed and sit with him for a few minutes. (Repeat as often as necessary.)

You can also encourage an upbeat attitude about his new sleeping quarters by letting your child decorate his room with favorite stuffed animals and toys, his own drawings on the walls, and a night light (or two). Talk up and celebrate this transition as the big graduation that it really is, complete with balloons, cake, and gifts of new bedding featuring her favorite characters. Then inaugurate opening night with a peaceful-but-simple bedtime ritual that you'll be able to stick with (for example, a bath, a story, a song, and a few minutes of cuddling).


How can I decorate my bedroom?
Q. I Am a 17 year old girl. I love dancing, music, love pink and orange and purple etc. Any creative theme can help and some suggestions on what curtains I should buy for the room.

A. hmmmm well u might not be able to do this can I just say what I did once? in a closet in a house I used to live in, it was in the basement and in the closet there was a cement floor still so we painted it sliver, made shelves that went down both sides of the side walls and painted them silver, the bottom shelf was for my shoes and it was attached sort of slanted and I wrapped that shelf in a shiny silver material. to hang the clothes on we got a metal pole from home depot spray painted it silver, it was silver but just didn't look right so spray painting it silver made it look better. we hung it from chains, painted the ceiling black for lighting we hung a black track lighting on the ceiling and in each one put a different color bulb, hung a disco ball in the center of the ceiling from a black hook and black (small) chain, the walls were taped off in LARGE diamond shapes and were dark purple and white, but it was such a dark purple it looked black I didn't like it so I put just one coat of white primer over it to paint again BUT when I did that u could still see faintly the diamond shape and it looked like a shadow which was pretty cool so we just keep it. my theme was I wanted my closet to look like a hip clothe store and I still miss that closet I LOVED it. I cried when I had to move LOL. oh and my clothes were all hung on the pole by black hangers. If I move again to a bigger house I have another great idea for a closet I can't wait.

as for your room lets see. I can't really think right now but I know one thing u can do is make copies of your favorite cds, and use the originals to arrange nicely in a frame kinda like how artists do. u can do something with a disco ball and different color lights, keep your curtains light nothing heavy. u can do circle rugs in your favorite colors. maybe a black and white bedding and u can a bunch of different color pillows in your favorite colors. if u have a creative parent or relative u can buy cute colored lanterns at like a pier 1 or World Market or other home store and get lamp wiring kit and have them turn the lanterns into lamps and u can decorate the lamp shade too if u want.

good luck





Powered by Yahoo! Answers

No comments:

Post a Comment