Thursday, May 23, 2013

Decorating a college apartment?

Q. My am in college and next semester my best friend and I are getting an apartment together. She is kind of boyish and I am super girly. We will each have our own bedrooms and bathrooms and she said that I could decorate our Living room, kitchen, and dining room as well. I basically have two parts to my question:
1.) When decorating my room and bathroom, I have no furniture yet so it is a blank canvas. Where can I find some cheap durable pieces that I can transfer to my house when I graduate? Also, where are some cute decorating ideas? I love the home interior kind of stuff with the wrought iron and etc, but I am still yound and want to incorporate livliness! I also love pink and green. Where can I find cute accessories?
2.) For the living room and dining room, we have antique furniture that is very not our style. I will have to work around it until we can save for others. How can I modernize it and where can I find cheap but classy looking stuff to replace it? Thanks!

A. Check out fabric stores for remnants. For bedroom furniture, just look at an LL Bean catalog with all their painted white and pastel furniture. Any amateur can recreate that look with furniture from the junk store or flea market with a few cans of Krylon white spray paint.

Also check out the discount stores for "bed in a bag' type comforter sets and throw rugs.

Also check out eBay and www.overstock.com for all sorts of cool stuff.

Enjoy.


I need some ideas on how I should make my bedroom look more gothic?
Q. Right now, I only have a black & red bed spread and black curtains, that's pretty much it. I'm not allowed to paint my walls, so I have to leave it white -_- What else should I have? I prefer DIY projects, those are really fun. And pictures would be awesome too. Also, I'm on a low budget.

A. Gothic is actually a Victorian Style so if you run into anything in a yard sale that speaks Victorian and you like it for little or nothing get it. You might run into a rare antique for money.

Get a bed frame with a gothic/pointed arch design if not the right color paint it black or pewter color.
You can also get some dark colored velvet or satin lampshades. Anything moody, dark would do.
Hang artwork with dark colors, gothic architecture, bare twigs. Get a rug with a twiggy bare branch or stained glass motif and dark and crackled pottery and picture frames. There are numerous styles of wall stickers you can stick on the wall and peel off when needed. Anything black outlined and sketchy would work.
Try to also to like for wrought iron or something that likes like.
Black and white and touches of rich red will give you a nice gothic look.
Anything Victorian will work here too! Paint your dresser in Gunmetal too or dark leather brown.

Decorate plain lampshades with cheap trimming you get from a fabric store. You'll only need like 1 to 2 feet and not a whole yard so it will be cheaper. Find some like interesting shaped pottery in a thrift store or cheap store and get some spray paint and paint in dark red, gunmetal pewter, jade green, eggplant, burgundy, emerald, midnight blue, plum. If your want flowers don't go too fluffy but graphic deep roses and bold flowers.

Money savers
1. You always like into the Walmart Fabric and sewing section to get some fancy stuff for cheap.
If you run into a fabric or trimming you love but it's too much for your budget get only a foot which
Which is excellent for small projects. You can apply this for any fabric store.

2. You can find cheap prints and posters anywhere so look around and find them or take a interesting fabric with a rich design and frame it like a picture.


Ideas for a gothic/brothel style bedroom?
Q. I'm redecorating my bedroom and I want something mature but fun. I'm thinking sort of vampire-y, no Dracula. Kind of brothel-like, but classy. I'm leaning towards a darker purple or red but I don't really know where to start with accessories and furniture, etc.

A. Design Toscano has great goth/medieval furniture, but the stuff isn't cheap. You are better off doing everything yourself. I would paint the walls a dark burgundy or purple, and decorate the walls with sconces, and anything made of wrought iron. Find yourself a dark comforter with an intricate design for your bed (look for anything with damask or filigree print). Cover your tables with dark table cloths, and put some candles on them, a must for any gothic bedroom..

Idea for bedding
http://www.target.com/Classic-Home-Medallion-Bedding-Collection/dp/B000M8QZE0/602-5606552-7109437?ie=UTF8&node=671570011&frombrowse=1&pricerange=&index=tgt-mf-mv&field-browse=671570011&rank=pmrank&rh=&page=2ng

Idea for wall decor
http://www.walmart.com/catalog/product.do?product_id=6457418





Powered by Yahoo! Answers

No comments:

Post a Comment