Thursday, May 30, 2013

Interior Design Help - my bedroom is very long and narrow, feels imbalanced, how do I decorate/place furniture?

Q. Hi, I live in a cabin that has long narrow bedrooms built into the side of the main structure. The room I sleep in is very long and narrow, and has a small window looking out on the long wall facing outside. I don't know what I can do to balance out the room, especially with a queen size bed that takes up the entire length of the short wall - leaving about 2 feet for a small bedside table. Any ideas to make it more cozy and feel less like a hallway? If I can figure out how to send a pic I will - and if you help I will make sure to give you ten points!!! Much appreciated...

A. Divide and conquer is the trick to making a large space cozy. Working to section it off sometimes something as simple as a folding screen at the bottom of your bed will do that for you. Or move the bed further into the room put the screen behind the bed and put your desk behind it. Large bold prints help - along with large scattered decorative pieces. Make one section with seating - love seat and sofa table or 2 rockers or easy chairs facing.

http://www.decorpad.com/photos/2008/09/22/ecf0267cbc78.jpg

Another suggestion is 1 long or 2 tall bookcases placed on the short walls as dividers. http://www.apartmenttherapy.com/la/inspiration/inspiration-using-a-bookcase-as-a-room-divider-080938 best to have them open back to allow light through.


Interior Design Issue - Awkward Space - HELP!?
Q. Try to picture these dimensions, and please give me ideas...My living room and family room connect (with an archway inbetween) and the rooms are both incredibly narrow and small. The family room connects with the kitchen/breakfast area which is hardwood flooring, and the LR/DR is all carpeting. There is little wall space due to windows and a fireplace....I can't seem to do anything with these spaces - no matter how I arrange furniture, I can't get a comfortable seating area with a TV in either room without it looking strange. I'm at the point where almost everything is removed from both rooms and I'm staring at empty space. Any design ideas from professionals or people who know what they're talking about when it comes to decorating is needed - please don't send links because I've googled this topic to death! Thanks!

A. I had the same problem in my house. the living room and dining room are both only 11' wide and the living room is13' long and the dining room is only 8' long. the 2 rooms are divided by an archway that cuts the floor space up because the archway wall extends about 2' in on both sides.I too have a huge fireplace (takes up almost an entire wall) and large double windows in both rooms, as well as a small piano window on each side of the fireplace leaving very little open wallspace for furniture arranging.after much frustration and trial and error, i solved my seating arrangement dilema by purchasing a small sectional sofa shaped like an "L". the small part of the L has no back and looks like a chaise lounge attached to a love seat (which forms the long part of the L). i put this in the corner of the wall and archway wall. the backless part of the sectional extends out about a foot past the archway wall, and it can be sat on facing either room. I placed a leather ottoman that also serves as a coffee table (i have wooden butler trays on it when i use it as a table) in the L of the sectional sofa. The ottoman also has storage area under the seat..
I placed my flatscreen LCD tv over the fireplace mantle and covered it with a large hinged mirror that can be raised and lowered. the sound system and stereo, dvd player is hidden in one side of the archway (each side of the archway has a built in glass fronted cabinet). the only other seating I have in the living room is a leather club chair which is very comfortable but not large. I can seat 7 people in the living room when I have to: 3 on the sectional, 1 in the club chair, 2 on the long leather ottoman.
I placed a large potted yucca in each of the narrow alcoves on either side of the fireplace and put a small uplight behind each pot. I have 1 small side table beside the club chair with a table lamp on it.
in the dining room, i got rid of my square table and purchased a round one(a lot more practical for the small space that has a 16 " leaf enabling me to seat 6 there when the leaf is in. I chose a pub style table that is about 10" higher than a standard dining table--because i also have an open bar counter that is the same height and i can use the pub chairs at both the counter and the table. i keep 4 chairs around the table and 2 at the bar. when i have company, i put the leaf in and pull over the 2 from the bar. besides a tall potted palm, thats all i have in this room because there is virtually no wallspace to put anything against. One wall is the archway to the living room, the other is the bar counter and doorway to the kitchen, the other is the archway to the bedrooms hallway, and the 4th wall is almost entirely window.

but even in these small connected rooms i can seat 13 people total when i need to; 7 in living room, 6 in dining room.

i also went with a monchromatic color sceme for the rooms, a medium tan color on the walls (same in both rooms) with dark espresso trim,crown moldings, and woodwork. My fireplace is stucco and i painted it terra cotta red for a nice contrast of color and texture. I have dark walnut hardwood floors. my sectional is beige, the club chair is dark brown (with a hint of red) leather ,as is the large ottoman. the pub table is dark oak and the pub chairs have their seats and backs upholstered in tan and brick-red striped fabric.
The living room has one wall (across from the fireplace) done in wood framed leather panelling that goes about half way up the wall.

I really strive to keep this area clutter-free. My only storage is in the built-in archway cabinets and the ottoman and a single drawer in the side table and a wicker basket on a shelf under the drawer. on the fireplace mantle, i have a few pieces of rustic mexican pottery . on the wall with leather panelling, above the panelling i have a row of 5 small square abstract prints framed in copper. Over the mantle i have a large (2' x 4') mirror framed in bronze, copper, and small red ceramic tiles. this mirror hides my LCD tv screen. The fireplace hearth is done in terra cotta tile. I have wood framed bamboo shutters on all the windows which i custom made to fit.


Teen Bedroom Decorating Ideas?
Q. I am fourteen and over the summer I am painting my room and completely redecorating. I have a long twin bed, a half dresser/ half TV stand thing, a huge bookshelf, two narrow (but tall) closets and a ceiling that is high on one end and slopes downward. I window that is almost ceiling to floor (on the downward slope side). Right now, my walls are lavendar and there are princesses on it. It has to go. I LOVE Vampire Diaries and Twilight and wanted to do something that has to do with that but my room is really small and crowded. Any ideas? For just about everything in the room. I keep getting my ideas vetoed. Please help!!!

A. I'm a teen too, and planning out a new bedroom. I used PB Teen for lots of ideas, but i honestly think you wouldn't want Vampire Diaries and Twilight in your room in a few years. The first thing you should do, is pick out a bed comforter. Once you find one you like, then you can choose the wall color and some of the accessories you want for your room. It should all match the colors in the bed comforter in some way. There's some pretty affordable stuff on overstock.com as well, if you need to save.
Hope I Helped : )





Powered by Yahoo! Answers

No comments:

Post a Comment